Saturday, June 17, 2006

What? No More Halftime Shows?

After months of searching and praying for a new job in the Des Moines area my family and I can finally rest a little easier. Beginning this fall I will make the transition from being a high stress high school band director to being a (hopefully) low stress beginning band director. I was worried at first. It is a big change, especially for someone that has been teaching 9-12 band for seven years. In any case, after much thought and contemplation I honestly can't wait to get started this August. With the new position I will no longer have any extra duty contracts, meaning that I will no longer be obligated to being away from my family two or more nights a week for football games or pep band performances. In a way I will miss it, but the idea of more family time is very appealing to me.

On the teaching side of things, it looks like I need to dig in my library and pull out my old copy of Teaching Music Through Performance in Beginning Band by Thomas Dvorak. It'll take a little adjustment on my part, but the energy and drive of young students really is infectious. Honestly, I can't wait. Only 45 more days till school starts!

No comments: